Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Hot Chocolate vs. The Bee Gees

"Emma" by Hot Chocolate, from Every 1's a Winner (1978)
Image hosted by TinyPic.com Where to begin? An enthusiastic, heartwarming tale of a girl named Emma. The power of UK international funk packaged in a breathing, crooning Benneton ad. A touch of strings, a vibrating bass line and haunting backing vox. Shit's good, 'specially since it's so cheesy. 'We're gonna write her name high on that silver screen. We're gonna make her the biggest star this world has ever seen.'

"How Deep is Your Love" by The Bee Gees, from Saturday Night Fever (1977)
Image hosted by TinyPic.com Ok, who turned my iTunes over to the AM Gold people? I can't honestly get enthused about this song. As much as I enjoy the sheer oddity that is the Gibb falsetto, I've still got Emma's bassline thumping its way through my subconscious.

THE WINNER: Why it's Hot Chocolate, you sexy thing. No marshmallows necessary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home